Simon Chan is a consistency coach and author of “The Consistency Pill: The 7 Step System to Increase Sales and Transform Your Business.” Siimon is best known for his successful podcast MLM Nation, the number one network marketing podcast with over 700 interviews in the bank. Simon lives by what he says. He credits the discipline of consistency for his success. Today Simon spends his day working one-on-one with network marketers, teaching them strategies to earn over $1,000 a month or more in their online business. In this One Big Tip podcast episode, Simon shares actionable strategies to help you become more disciplined in your life.
Simon started his career as a young college graduate with a sense of traditionalism. Shortly after being in the workforce, he realized life was full of options and opportunities. After reading a few books on generating wealth, he took his future into his hands and stepped into entrepreneurial waters. The shift was difficult for Simon as it is for many first-time entrepreneurs. Changing your mindset from employee to boss has many benefits, including financial freedom; however, if you don’t develop consistency and discipline, two skills many people have not honed, success will be elusive. In 2013, Simon realized that he had found the key to success and turned his attention to coaching other entrepreneurs so they could do the same and scale their businesses.
Simon believes consistency is a learned skill that, through practice, everyone can master. It is the only skill proven to move you to the next level in everything you do. The beauty of consistency is that you don’t need perfection. There are days when you will show up and only have 20% energy and focus, but the fact that you showed up creates habits, and our habits create our lives. When you look at the big picture, you realize that where we are today is a collective of our past habits and choices. To make it easy for his coaching clients, Simon created seven modules of consistency that, when followed, the only outcome is goal realization.
- Module one: Create a checklist. Write down the specific steps you need to take to reach your goals. They need to be clear, concise, and actionable.
- Module two: Adopt a schedule for your time and stick to it. You need to schedule everything and understand that it is your commitment to yourself and your future.
- Module three: Create a strategy. What are the actionable steps you will take to reach your goals? Are you going to post on social media? Will you publish more? What will you do in the scheduled time to further your goals?
- Module four: Choose your environment. Put yourself in the space where you do the best work. Some people are only creative when out in nature. If that’s you, then schedule outdoor time every day where you will focus on coming up with new ideas.
- Module five: It’s essential to track your progress. If you don’t use a metric to measure progress, how can you know where to improve?
- Module six: Find the tools you need to stay consistent. There are so many tools available. Many are free. One tool most people have that is great for scheduling is a calendar. Once something is on your calendar, make it non-negotiable. If you follow this rule, your consistency will increase, and everything else will follow.
- Module seven: Accountability. You need to hold yourself accountable. If you can’t do it on your own, get a coach, join a group or ask a friend. Have someone there to check in with you and ensure you keep your commitment to yourself and your future. The trick with accountability is they don’t need to be long check-ins. As a matter of fact, quick short communication will keep you more consistent overall as it won’t take time away from your day.
Before taking on new clients, one thing Simon does is ensure they are coachable. That means you need to be open and willing to change. If someone isn’t open-minded and willing to shift, their life isn’t going to move forward. Another part of coaching is the willingness to be pushed to your limits. This is how growth comes about. And lastly, you need to be willing to step outside your comfort zone. Everything we chase in life is on the other side of our comfort zone. If a client approaches Simon and they don’t possess these attributes, he won’t work with them.
To move forward in your business, you need to practice consistency. True consistency comes about when you implement the seven modules laid out above. The last step to reaching your goal is to focus on one thing at a time. If you give yourself even three weeks of consistent work on one goal, you will know if the steps you are taking are the right ones. The most critical part of consistency is staying on track and focusing on one thing at a time until you’ve mastered it. Implement Simon’s consistency principles in the part of your life you want to improve. They are guaranteed to show results.
In this episode:
[2:25] Simon shares his road to success
- His passion for coaching began as a youth
- Follow your heart to realize your dreams
- Don’t be afraid to think outside the box
[8:20] Consistency is a learned skill
- To reach your goals you need to show up every day
- Consistency is formed by your habits
- Show up for yourself even when you don’t want to
[12:45] Don’t wait for perfection
- Perfection doesn’t exist
- Look for progress, not perfection
[15:00] Accountability is what helps people stay consistent
- Don’t view accountability as a waste of time
- Short check-ins are the sweet spot for continuous improvement
[20:45] You need to use a metric to measure progress
- Pick one thing that you want to change or improve on and measure your progress
- If you stay consistent with your habits the needle should move in the right direction